Thursday, February 7, 2013

Shrimp Skewers with Spicy IPA Vinaigrette



I've made this several times and it's fantastic. Great as an appetizer or even dinner, this simple recipe is quick to make. Spicy and delicious, but not too hot. Pair this with an IPA, pale ale, or saison!


Ingredients:
2 lbs shrimp, peeled and de-veined
8 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp fresh ground coriander
2-3 tbsp fresh thyme, light chop
2 habanero peppers, quartered and stemmed and seeded
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup India Pale Ale
Pinch of ancho chile powder
Canola oil (around 3/4 cup or more for emulsification)
kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

Quarter, stem, and seed the habaneros (keep a few seeds if you want a little more heat. I usually do). Toss the habanero, nectar, beer, vinegar, thyme, ancho, and a pinch of salt and pepper into a blender.


In a small pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Add in the whole garlic with a pinch of salt. Toast for about 5 minutes. They should turn golden brown. Add the garlic in the blender. Puree until smooth. The color should be green. If not, add a bit more thyme until you get a nice green color. 

When the puree is smooth, slowly start adding in the canola oil and blend until emulsified.

Heat grill or grill pan on high. If using wooden skewers, then submerse the skewers in some water for about 15min. Sprinkle salt and fresh cracked black pepper over the shrimp. Toss in some canola oil. Skewer 4 shrimp per skewer (don’t want to overcrowd). Place on grill and cook around 2 min per side until cooked through. When done, plate the shrimp and pour the vinaigrette all over the shrimp and garnish with more thyme. Enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeremiah,

    I wanted to see if you would mind if we featured this recipe on CraftBeer.com? A main goal of CB.com (which is published by the Brewers Association) is to bring craft beer back to the dinner table--through pairings or as an ingredient in dishes.

    I would create a post similar to this: http://www.craftbeer.com/recipes/bacon-stout-chocolate-cheesecake and include your bio/photo/link back to The Ales Kitchen.

    Please let me know if this would be ok. Thanks so much!

    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meghan!

      Sure, go right ahead. Post away! As for bio....I don't really have one but I can give you a bit of info....

      I live in Tulsa, OK. I cook often for my wife and kid and friends, and I cook with beer as often as I can. I have a love for craft beer as an ingredient for foods. I love drinking it too, of course. I created this site not long ago and it's mainly just for fun and sharing.

      Thanks

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete